Thursday, December 25, 2008

Thepla

Thepla and Chhundo (sweet mango pickle) are as common breakfast in Gujarat as bread and butter are in western part of the world. Theplas come in different flavors, bottle gourd theplas, fenugreek theplas, cabbage theplas, rice theplas etc. With the use of these ingredients, the theplas become moist and soft. One can also opt for plain masala theplas, too. Almost all types of theplas have a long shelf life. Also, theplas can fit in with anything: subjis with gravy, subjis with no gravy, sweet pickles,  hot pickles, chutneys, or all by themselves. These qualities make them very good food to keep while traveling as well.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup grated bottle gourd and/or carrots
2 tbsp kasuri methi (optional)
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp ginger-chili paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paav-bhaji masala (optional)
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt plus more if needed
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
2 tbsp oil (I use 2 tbsp yogurt instead of oil)
water to knead the dough
oil spray/oil for cooking theplas

Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients to make the dough. Keep aside for an hour.
  • Divide into 7-8 equal portions. Roll them out (make them slightly thicker than regular rotis).
  • Heat a non-stick pan to a medium-high heat. Start by roasting the theplas on one side. Turn over, and apply oil spray/oil. Repeat for the other side.
I would like to send these yummy theplas over to the Singing Chef's Think Spice-Think Carom event. I'll also send them over to EFM-savories event hosted by SriLekha.
[savouries+logo.jpg]
Enjoy!!!


20 comments:

Yasmeen said...

Tasty theplas and spicy too,nice one for snacks:)

Alisa said...

Happy Holidays Chai! This is a great recipe, hope you can share this over to the foodista community! Thanks! www.foodista.com

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

oh i see interesting ingredients like bottle gourd, pav bhaji masala.. shud try it next time. looks yummy

DK said...

I had this neighbour in India who used to make these utterly delicious theplas and give us - yours reminded of them! boy! I am so making these soon :) thanks for them :)

Usha said...

Looks delicious, I love all Gujarati cuisine and theplas are one of my absolute faves...neat idea adding pav bhaji masala for flavor....

Adlak's tiny world said...

yum and tasty dish... gr8 idea of adding pav baji masala to this...

Vibaas said...

Theplas look yum Chandani. Wish you a very happy and prosperous new year!

Sunshinemom said...

Theplas look great and are my fave too! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! One of our favourites :)

Anonymous said...

I've got an award for you at my blog...pick it up.

anudivya said...

Never made these before, but sounds simple enough to make. Happy 2009

Indranee Batabyal said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog...this is a lovely recipe! Happy new year!

Preety said...

one of my friend always make these for long trips as she said it stays soft..but never tried it..your recipe looks simple to give it a try..

Unknown said...

looks yumm. I make this often..hav eit in my blog..

Nazarina A said...

These theplas look so enticing and it is the idea of the mango pickle served with it that has my attention!

Malar Gandhi said...

Wow very interesting post, sounds like spicy treat. Must be great with tea...or even main dish! Vegetables and whole wheat, sounds very healthy to me...

Madhavi said...

tasty thepla ane methiya jode to vah kya bat hai :)))

Kumudha said...

Theplas look so tasty! So many delicious vegan recipes here!

Joie de vivre said...

I've never heard of these, but I need to try them!

Haddock said...

I usually try to resist buying them mainly because of lack of space in my already full cook-book drawer .. . . . . . that sounded familiar as the same applies here (not mine but my wife's collection is overflowing )
Lovely picture :-)