Friday, December 12, 2008

Dhokla

I think Dhoklas are the most popular food Gujarati food. I have been asked to demonstrate Dhokla preparation by my non-Gujarati friends more often than any other item so far, making Dhoklas an absolutely worthy dish for my posts. Nisarg also loves Dhoklas very much, so I get to make them often :).


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup urad dal
1/4 cup yogurt
1 tbsp ginger-chili paste
2/3 cup shredded bottle gourd
1 tbsp urad dal-chana dal
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (I didn't use it this time)
1 tbsp cilantro (chopped) (optional)
1/4 tsp asafoetida
3/4 tsp soda-bi-carb
1 tsp oil
1 tsp black pepper (coarsely ground)
salt as needed

Method:
  • Soak the rice and urad dal overnight and grind in a mixture the next day. Add yogurt, 1/8 cup of hot water and allow to ferment for 6-7 hours.
  • Add all the ingredients except black pepper and mix well.
  • Apply oil spray on a flat metal dish (see picture-2) and pour batter to fill half the height. For thinner dhoklas, make this layer thinner (see picture-3).
  • Sprinkle black pepper on top and steam for 13-14 minutes. Repeat with rest of the batter. 
  • Cut into pieces and serve hot with green chutney.
I'd like to send this dhokla over to Lubna's FIC-white (Food in color),which was started by sunshinemom of ToungeTicklers.


Enjoy!!!

12 comments:

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks gr8. Thank you for sending it down to FIC-White.

Usha said...

Looks soft, fluffy and perfect :-)

Purva Desai said...

Even I was planning to sent dhokla for FIC - White....
Modhama Paani aavi gayu khatta dhokla joyne yaar....

Usha said...

Hey Chandani, thanks for visiting my blog and your comment, just one quick question is that the right word for the dish I made, shaak not saag,let me know since this saag was the term I had seen in the recipe I used that term but would want to get the right term...:-)

Usha said...

Thanks for getting back to me on this so quickly, I corrected the title of my post and added a note there too :-)

DK said...

I cant insist enough for the love that I have for dhokla's. Good one :)

As for your query - sure you can send me ones already posted. Wud luve to get my hands on those. Just do link these posts with the event link and then mail them to me

Waiting your delicious entries :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai chandini.......at right time i visiting ur blog......searching for this recipe.......since september.....i couldn't get proper ones......thank u for sharing.....will try this soon....lovely ones

Anonymous said...

Wow.....this looks yummy! Perfect for a snack.

Yasmeen said...

I like dhokla,we usually eat store bought.your recipe looks simple enough to try:)

Malar Gandhi said...

Love Dhoklas.....picture loves great, awesome recipe....

Gopi Shah said...

ur dhoklas looks perfect!! Can I have some hot dhoklas

Sunshinemom said...

Perfect for the season! Thank you Chandini, and hope to see you on FIC often:) Happy New Year!