I think Dhoklas are the most popular food Gujarati food. I have been asked to demonstrate Dhokla preparation by my non-Gujarati friends more often than any other item so far, making Dhoklas an absolutely worthy dish for my posts. Nisarg also loves Dhoklas very much, so I get to make them often :).
1 1/2 cups rice1/2 cup urad dal1/4 cup yogurt1 tbsp ginger-chili paste2/3 cup shredded bottle gourd1 tbsp urad dal-chana dal1 tsp fenugreek seeds1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (I didn't use it this time)1 tbsp cilantro (chopped) (optional)1/4 tsp asafoetida3/4 tsp soda-bi-carb1 tsp oil1 tsp black pepper (coarsely ground)salt as needed
- Soak the rice and urad dal overnight and grind in a mixture the next day. Add yogurt, 1/8 cup of hot water and allow to ferment for 6-7 hours.
- Add all the ingredients except black pepper and mix well.
- Apply oil spray on a flat metal dish (see picture-2) and pour batter to fill half the height. For thinner dhoklas, make this layer thinner (see picture-3).
- Sprinkle black pepper on top and steam for 13-14 minutes. Repeat with rest of the batter.
- Cut into pieces and serve hot with green chutney.
I'd like to send this dhokla over to Lubna's FIC-white (Food in color),which was started by sunshinemom of ToungeTicklers.