My dear Jagufoi sent me this mouthwatering recipe few days back along with photos. She took the pictures specially for this blog :). Nisarg is not a great fan of brinjals but when he saw the photos sent by her, he really wanted me to try it! I was planning to use onions too, but Nisarg wanted it just as Jagufoi made it :).
So, I made this yesterday with rotis and it turned out fantastic!
11-12 small brinjals4 small potatoesFor stuffing:1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan)1/4 cup sesame seeds1/4 cup shredded coconut1/4 cup peanuts (coarsely ground)1 tbsp ginger-chili paste1 tsp chili powder1/2 tsp turmeric powder1/2 tsp garam masala powder1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder1 tbsp aam-churan ( I didn't have this so I used 1 tsp tamarind paste)1 1/2 tsp sugar1 1/2 tsp salt + more if needed2 tsp oilFor Tadka:1 tsp oil1 tsp mustard seeds1 tsp cumin1/4 tsp asafoetida
- Wash and dry the brinjals and remove the stem. Slit them vertically and horizontally like a cross sign, without breaking them into halves.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients needed for the stuffing. Stuff it into the brinjal slits. Keep the remaining mix for the potatoes.
- Put the brinjals into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Turn the brinjals and heat again for 3-4 more minutes.
- Put the sliced potatoes in the microwave with little amount of water and cook for 3-4 minutes. When they are almost done, mix with remaining masala and heat until done-about 2-3 minutes.
- Put cooked brinjals and potatoes in a big bowl. Add tadka on top and mix gently.
- Serve hot with rotis.