Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bharelu Shak (Stuffed Brinjals with Potatoes)


My dear Jagufoi sent me this mouthwatering recipe few days back along with photos. She took the pictures specially for this blog :). Nisarg is not a great fan of brinjals but when he saw the photos sent by her, he really wanted me to try it! I was planning to use onions too, but Nisarg wanted it just as Jagufoi made it :).
So, I made this yesterday with rotis and it turned out fantastic! 
Ingredients:
11-12 small brinjals
4 small potatoes 

For stuffing:
1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup peanuts (coarsely ground)
1 tbsp ginger-chili paste
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
1 tbsp aam-churan ( I didn't have this so I used 1 tsp tamarind paste)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt + more if needed
2 tsp oil 
For Tadka:

1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp asafoetida

Method:
  • Wash and dry the brinjals and remove the stem. Slit them vertically and horizontally like a cross sign, without breaking them into halves.
  • In a bowl, mix all the ingredients needed for the stuffing. Stuff it into the brinjal slits. Keep the remaining mix for the potatoes.
  • Put the brinjals into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Turn the brinjals and heat again for 3-4 more minutes.
  • Put the sliced potatoes in the microwave with little amount of water and cook for 3-4 minutes. When they are almost done, mix with remaining masala and heat until done-about 2-3 minutes.
  • Put cooked brinjals and potatoes in a big bowl. Add tadka on top and mix gently. 
  • Serve hot with rotis.
Enjoy!!!

12 comments:

Usha said...

This sounds really delicious,loved the ingredients used for stuffing,bet it tasted yum :-)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

What an awesome combo. I have made stuffed brinjals but never combined them with potatoes. mouthwatering.

Retno Prihadana said...

This dish is new for me, especially with brinjals. Thanks for stopping by my site :)

Uma said...

wow, what an amazing curry! I love stuffed brinjal curry! You made a delicious combo of potato and stuffed eggplant. Thanks for dropping by.

anudivya said...

I am a big fan of the eggplant and potato combo... I love the way you made this.

TNL said...

I love this bharelu shaak...it is one of my favorites- with and without the onion. Aa shaak garam garam pooris saathey bahuj saras lagey!

cheers, trupti

Andhra Flavors said...

wahh.. stuffed brinjal and potato, very intresting combination.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Classic dish :)

Srikitchen said...

wow! looks delicious!
join in the sweet event going in my blog!

Adlak's tiny world said...

First time in yr blog, wow such a diffrnt and nice collections here. i love yr dhahi vada and fruit shrikand very much.

Reg this potato brinjal curry looks yum and we too prepare this in our home. My hubby's favo dish..

Nisarg said...

I am a brinjal hater, usually i dislike in any shape or form, but this recipe is really great, and I could not stop eating it until it was finished.

Unknown said...

Masala stuffed baigan is my favorite dish with brinjals:)