Whenever I make something new or special, I usually share the photos of the dishes with my friends and family members. Stuffed bell pepper is one of the dishes that has aroused most interest. Many people have asked me about its recipe and have enjoyed it. Obviously, it makes stuffed bell peppers a worthy candidate for a blog.
Whenever we invite guests to our place over lunch/dinner, I always ask my husband "What should I make?", usually he is out of clue (and mentions dishes that do not suit with rest of the items). Finally, I have to give him some choices, but his lifeline to save himself out of the trouble has been "stuffed bell peppers". This dish can easily match with different types of cuisines. The ingredients are basically Italian, but it can match well with North Indian or continental cuisines. It is a great dish for potluck too. You can add cottage cheese and Indian spices in the filling for an Indian version of the stuffed bell peppers.
4 large bell peppers2 chopped green onions1 chopped tomato1/2 cup chopped cilantro1/2 cup boiled spaghetti(you can use other kind of pastas)1/2 cup cooked rice1 tsp chili sauce3/4 cup tomato ketchup1 cup white sauce(1/2 tsp butter, 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1 cup milk, salt, pepper)oil spraysalt, chili powder, cheese as needed
- Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds and stems. Put them in a microwave-safe bowl, add some water and cover the lid. The bell peppers will be almost cooked in about 5-6 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the filling, mix rice, spaghetti, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, chili sauce, salt.
- Add this mixture in the bell pepper halves.
- To make white sauce, heat butter and roast all-purpose flour. Add milk and stir continuously till it becomes thick. Add salt and pepper. Remove from the stove and add tomato ketchup.
- Preheat the oven at 375 F.
- Coat conventional oven-safe bowl with oil spray and then put stuffed bell peppers. Pour white sauce mixture over the peppers. Sprinkle grated cheese, some drops of butter, salt and chili powder and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes.