My husband, Nisarg, comes home so hungry after the end of his workday that he attacks almost anything that is in vicinity and is edible. Along with that, he also wants something that is light, so that he can exercise/workout properly before we have dinner. This recipe fits right into that category, light and yet satisfying the appetite.
2 apples (peeled,cored and sliced)4 slices whole wheat / multigrain bread1 cup orange juice1/3 cup paneer(cottage cheese) (grated)1 tbsp lemon juice8 cashew nuts1/2 tsp cinnamon powder2 tbsp honey
- Sprinkle lemon juice on the apple slices.
- Pre-heat the oven at 300 F.
- Toast the cashew nuts in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, till golden. Let cool and crush coarsely.
- Heat a non-stick pan and gently poach the apple slices in the orange juice for about 10 minutes or until soft. Add more juice if needed.
- Cut the bread slices in half and toast them.
- Mix paneer with crushed cashew nuts.
- Put about 4 apple slices on each bread slice and cover with paneer-cashew mixture. Sprinkle cinnamon powder and put in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle the honey on the toasts and serve.
Because this dish is novel and delicious, children and adolescents enjoy eating it. My younger cousins and my nephew-niece really love it. The ingredients used in the food such as honey, oranges, apples, cinnamon etc. are rich in their nutritive values as well, making it ideal for children's snacks.
Madhavi has organized Children's Day Event in her blog, and this recipe is perfect for it!!