Recently I visited my cousin in New York and she showed me some hand-written recipes by my masi. Among these, I found this delicious vegetable handvo/corn handvo recipe which is a speciality of my other masi:). I always thought that this would be way too complicated for me.
Also, in India we used to live in the same society, so whenever she cooked something special, she'd send the goodies to us,too. I never had to worry about how to cook all those yummy dishes;). But here in the US, if you want to eat authentic gujju dishes, there is no other option but to cook them yourself!!
So, I finally cooked it yesterday and it turned out so good!! Am planning to make it again soon...
2 cups frozen corn (thawed and grated)1 large potato (boiled and mashed)1 cup cooked rice1 cup chopped boiled vegetables(green beans, peas, carrots)1 cup boiled corn1 cup chopped tomatoes1 cup bread crumbs(toast 2 bread slices and then grind in the mixer)1 cup milk2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup2 tbsp coconut powder5 tbsp chopped cilantro3 tbsp crushed ginger-chili1 tsp ghee1 tbsp oil1 tsp cumin seeds2 tsp mustard seedspinch of asafoetida1 tbsp sesame seeds5-6 cashews (halved)5-6 golden raisins7-8 curry leavessalt, sugar, lemon juice as neededoil spray
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. Add crushed corn, salt, 1 tbsp chili-ginger, 1 tbsp coconut, sugar, lemon juice, 2 tbsp cilantro and 1 cup milk. Let it thicken at low-medium heat. Stir continuously. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp chili-ginger, 1 tbsp cilantro, salt, lemon juice and sugar into mashed potato and mix well.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add crushed corn mixture, mashed potato mixture, boiled vegetables, tomatoes, cilantro, rice and mix well. Add chili-ginger, sugar,salt, lemon juice if needed.
- Heat oil for tadka. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, sesame seeds, curry leaves, cashews and raisins. When sesame seeds are golden brown turn off the heat and add this tadka to the mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Coat conventional oven-safe bowl with oil spray and spread half of the mixture. Now layer with tomato ketchup. Pour rest of the mixture and layer with bread crumbs.
- Put in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or cilantro chutney.
I'd like to send this to Sharmi's 'Cooking For Kids' event, where this month's key ingredient is 'corn'.