Thursday, November 13, 2008

Makai Handvo (Vegetable Handvo)


Recently I visited my cousin in New York and she showed me some hand-written recipes by my masi. Among these, I found this delicious vegetable handvo/corn handvo recipe which is a speciality of my other masi:). I always thought that this would be way too complicated for me. 

Also, in India we used to live in the same society, so whenever she cooked something special, she'd send the goodies to us,too. I never had to worry about how to cook all those yummy dishes;). But here in the US, if you want to eat authentic gujju dishes, there is no other option but to cook them yourself!!

So, I finally cooked it yesterday and it turned out so good!! Am planning to make it again soon...




Ingredients:
2 cups frozen corn (thawed and grated)
1 large potato (boiled and mashed)
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup chopped boiled vegetables(green beans, peas, carrots)
1 cup boiled corn
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup bread crumbs(toast 2 bread slices and then grind in the mixer)
1 cup milk
2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp coconut powder
5 tbsp chopped cilantro
3 tbsp crushed ginger-chili 
1 tsp ghee
1 tbsp oil 
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp sesame seeds
5-6 cashews (halved)
5-6 golden raisins
7-8 curry leaves
salt, sugar, lemon juice as needed
oil spray

Method:
  • Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. Add crushed corn, salt, 1 tbsp chili-ginger, 1 tbsp coconut, sugar, lemon juice, 2 tbsp cilantro and 1 cup milk. Let it thicken at low-medium heat. Stir continuously. Set aside.
  • Add 1 tbsp chili-ginger, 1 tbsp cilantro, salt, lemon juice and sugar into mashed potato and mix well. 
  • Take a large mixing bowl and add crushed corn mixture, mashed potato mixture, boiled vegetables, tomatoes, cilantro, rice and mix well. Add chili-ginger, sugar,salt, lemon juice if needed.
  • Heat oil for tadka. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, sesame seeds, curry leaves, cashews and raisins. When sesame seeds are golden brown turn off the heat and add this tadka to the mixing bowl. Mix well.
  • Preheat the oven at 350 F.
  • Coat conventional oven-safe bowl with oil spray and spread half of the mixture. Now layer with tomato ketchup. Pour rest of the mixture and layer with bread crumbs.
  • Put in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden brown. 
  • Serve with tomato ketchup or cilantro chutney.


I'd like to send this to Sharmi's 'Cooking For Kids' event, where this month's key ingredient is 'corn'. 
Enjoy!!!

15 comments:

Yasmeen said...

Delicious recipe,very unique to me:)

Nazarina A said...

Hi Chandani,
Thank you visiting my blog and dropping me a line. I love making new friends!
This recipe has all the delicious vegetables imaginable and the way you have it all set out is superb! "mise on plus" is a really great attribute! Your final dish .... delicious!

Gopi Shah said...

hi Chandani,
I love handavo too. ur handvo recipe is kind of new....will try it soon.

Madhavi said...

Oh this is awesome post dear, great recipe and handvo looks just delicious!!!

BTW I posted an event on my blog, plz participate!!!

santoshi said...

Makai Handvo looks very tasty. I shall surely try this receipe soon.

Yasmeen said...

A surprise for you in my blog:)

Chandani said...

Hey all, thank you so much for the wonderful comments:)..i am out of town right now and the net connection is really bad at the hotel, so, couldn't reply earlier...
nazarina, yes, i usually like to get everything ready before i start making the final dish:)
madhavi, would love to take part in the event...
yasmeen, thanks for the surprise:)

Purva Desai said...

Modha ma Paani aavi gayu......
Handvo looks inviting and yummy...

Srivalli said...

What a lovely spread Chandani..looks inviting!

Chandani said...

thanks purva,srivalli:)

TNL said...

You reminded me of something I haven't had in 15 years! Your recipe looks wonderful, I'll be sure to try it.

cheers,trupti
The Spice Who Loved Me

Jasmine said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it!

Sharmi said...

hey Chandani, I have never tasted handvo, looks delicious. vey healthy too. thanks dear!

Preety said...

looks yum..new for me..

Anonymous said...

Hi Chandani, I have tasted the handvo with dals...and this looks so different and tasty. Liked your blog. Glad you found an old treasure of recipes...hope there are more.