Wednesday, March 4, 2009

French Onion Soup

Everytime I visit a book shop  (which is on average, twice a week :) ), I grab a table near the shop cafe with various cooking books and just enjoy going through all the delicious pictures of food!! I usually try to resist buying them mainly because of lack of space in my already full cook-book drawer, but, few weeks ago, I came across this wonderful book that I had to buy!!
The pictures are so beautiful, I just can't wait to try my hands at all these yet to be tasted dishes.
With the weather here being super-cold, I thought that soup would be the best dish to try out from my new book and this lovely combination of onions, french bread and gruyere cheese turned out to be perfect for a cold stormy evening.

Ingredients:
2 large yellow onions
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves (3 chopped and 1 whole)
1 tsp fresh thyme (chopped) plus some sprigs for garnishing
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp sugar
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
6 slices french bread
1/4 cup gruyere cheese (grated) 
salt and pepper as needed

Method:
  • Thinly slice the onions. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, or until they are just beginning to turn brown.
  • Add chopped garlic, sugar and thyme. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown. 
  • Sprinkle the flour and mix properly. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the wine. Gradually add the stock and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper.
  • Reduce the heat and let simmer for 50 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, toast the bread slices on both sides. Rub the toasts with the whole garlic clove.
  • Preheat the broiler.
  • Pour the soup into oven-proof bowl. Float toast slices into it and sprinkle with cheese. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese has just melted.
  • Pour into individual bowl, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.

I'd like to send this over to DK's Culinary Bazaar for A.W.E.D. France Event.


Enjoy!!!

16 comments:

Srikitchen said...

wow! it looks delicious! will surely try it!

lubnakarim06 said...

Simple and yum.....

Usha said...

Sounds and looks delightful !

Finla said...

I love love onion soup and if there is is cheese and toast on top then i love and adore these looks so yumm.

Madhavi said...

Delicious entry Chandani!!!!

Preety said...

love the soup..

Unknown said...

First time here. looks too good!

Varsha Vipins said...

Soup looks perfect Chandani..Loved thos croutons in it ..yum..:)

Chutneytales said...

Hi,Thanks for visiting me :)
This is a perfect French Onion soup.I'm craving for it now..

Vibaas said...

Soup looks yum! Here's something for u -> http://vibaas-world.blogspot.com/2009/03/potato-sandwich-and-awards.html

Anonymous said...

Looks hearty and delicious! Perfext for cold evenings.

Purva Desai said...

Its my favourite soup, looks really tempting.

Bundle of awards waiting for you, collect it from my blog

Nisarg said...

This one really made my evening after returning to home after a cold day! So delicious!

Vegetarian Medley said...

Something for u at my blog - http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/2009/03/pulav-tadka.html

Gunjan Pandya said...

hi Chandani,
Yes I am not active ...as I am in India and busy with relocation....Will update my blog once reach to my destination and settle there :).
Btw Thanks a lot for the Award :)

Justin said...

yum, why have I never made this at home before? I'm feeling sick too right now, so this would hit the spot.